Esther Lenhardt graduated from the Philadelphia based National School of Education and Oratory. She joined the faculty at Millersville as an instructor of Reading and Public speaking in 1920. Over the course of her 31-year career at Millersville, Lenhardt served as a professor of English, speech, and drama. She founded the Citamard Dramatic Society, produced 93 student dramatic productions, and co-authored lyrics for the Alma Mater of Millersville. After her retirement, Lenhardt served as the first secretary of the Millersville University Alumni Association. One of the two high rise dormitories on campus had honored her name before being torn down. Now one of the two east wings of the new South village is named in her honor.