Dr. Lyte entered the normal school in 1866 after serving in the Civil War and teaching for two years. He became a professor of rhetoric and bookkeeping in 1868 and later a professor of pedagogy and grammar before being named principal in 1887. His 44-year association with the school ended with his resignation because of ill health, and he died a few months later. He is credited with the first building boom at Millersville, designing and directing the construction of the Science Building (since removed), the Library (now Biemesderfer Executive Center), and the Gymnasium (now Dutcher Hall. He oversaw construction the Model School, formerly Myers Hall and now Charles and Mary Hash Building, and several additions to Old Main. He also was a prolific writer of music, including the famous round, “Row, Row, Row Your Boat.”
Lyte Auditorium, built in 1953, was named in memory of E.O. Lyte. It has served as the site of major cultural activities on campus and classes in music and other subjects. In 1998 it was renovated and renamed Alumni Hall and Lyte Auditorium. The building underwent a major renovation and expansion in 2010-2012. In the Spring of 2012 is was announced the building would rededicated as the Dr. Charles R. and Mrs. Anita B. Winter Center.