Dr. Brooks was one of the original members of the faculty at the institute. He was a prolific writer of textbooks, primarily in mathematics, and was active in numerous professional organizations, including the National Education Association. Resigning because of ill health, he recovered and eight years later was elected superintendent of schools of Philadelphia. He died in June 1912.
Brooks Hall, built in 1938 and named in memory of Dr. Brooks, was the college's second gymnasium and served as headquarters for women's sports until the closing of the building in 2017.