Landis Tanger, President 1929-1943

Landis Tanger

Landis Tanger

Dr. Tanger served a school principal and superintendent in districts throughout Pennsylvania after his graduation from Millersville in 1898 and before his appointment as president of the state college in 1929. He presided over heroic attempts to save this and other schools from being closed during the Great Depression and the early years of World War II. He retired in 1943 but continued to be active in the community.

Tanger House

The President's House was built in 1930 and rededicated in 1999 as Tanger House, in honor of Dr. Tanger, the first of the Presidents to live in the house.

Landis Tanger, President 1929-1943